Our understanding of relationships begin from the moment we are born. We learn from what we see around us: our parents, our families, our friends, our peers, films and the media. Yellow Door's STAR Project works to explore the understanding, ideas and attitudes children and young people have around relationships, aiming to ensure that every young person across Southampton and western Hampshire knows what a healthy relationship is, how to recognise signs of abuse, and where to go for help if they need it. An estimated 1 in 5 people will experience abuse or interpersonal violence at some point in their life - STAR has been developed to reduce this figure and break the silence around these topics.
Annually, the STAR team provide around 16,000 interactions with young people through delivery of over 600 sessions in schools, colleges, youth centres and other settings across Southampton and western Hampshire. By using interactive games and activities, they get young people of all ages thinking about everything from body image and self-esteem to pornography and internet safety – keeping it fun and relevant so that traditionally sensitive and difficult topics can be made easier to talk about openly, and without judgment. They ensure that every young person STAR interacts with is fully equipped with the knowledge and awareness of risks in order to stay safe, but also in the best place to develop healthy and happy relationships throughout their later lives.
For more information about Yellow Door Star Project visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Just 4 days to #WhiteRibbonDay! Show your commitment to tackling violence and abuse against women and girls by supp… t.co/G9K8PNQPjv
- We're looking for two dynamic and passionate people to join our team in the roles of Counsellor and Volunteer & Inv… t.co/HxtLnQOd1h
- Around 1/4 of trans+ people report having experienced abuse from a partner. The impacts can be increasingly more da… t.co/XA6eYTAlUI
- Reporting on the increase yet it is still estimated that around 96% goes unreported. Men and boys deserve the right… t.co/CLkMMCseCc
- #Sextortion blackmailers are using Instagram to target children and young people, promising them gaming codes and g… t.co/IBD3rn3Pff