As the first charity to establish child bereavement support services in the UK, Winston's Wish continues to lead the way in providing specialist child bereavement support services, including in-depth therapeutic help in individual, group and residential settings.
Winston's Wish was established by Julie Stokes OBE, a clinical psychologist, in 1992 to meet the needs of bereaved children and their families. The idea took root when Julie visited the US and Canada on a Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship. Having been inspired by the services she saw there, Julie returned to the UK to set up Winston’s Wish.
Claire is one parent to be helped: "After losing my husband I found there wasn't much local support available. Having five boys I found it increasingly difficult to find ways to support them as they were all dealing with their grief in different ways and at different stages.
"For a while we muddled through but life was hard, very stressful and at times unbearable. To watch my children full of sadness was heart-breaking! I felt I was failing them. Then I went to the Winston's Wish drop-in in Wigan. I felt instantly welcome and for the first time in a very long time there was a glimmer of hope for my family. I have met some lovely people. While the children are busy with their arts and crafts it's a time for parents, grandparents and others to chat, exchange ideas and thoughts and to be part of a group that understands your situation. It's a safe place to share your worries and concerns and reassuring to know that you’re not on your own."
- #Upton–upon–Severn #bereavement #Drop-in sessions are held on the third Tuesday of every month 1.00 – 3.00pm (Hill… t.co/73sKgnNmsb
- Get your friends together for @DevilMudRun and get discounted entry with a #TeamWinston place for just £39pp!… t.co/edMTn88LMp
- 📰 | Mind Your Language: A Guide To Talking About Mental Health t.co/6EJ5rwNTGt
- Our remaining stock of Christmas cards is now half price! Limited stock - grab a bargain while you can. t.co/CG4nwq4SZ3
- In 1992, we were founded by Julie Stokes with a passionate belief in children and that if you brought people with s… t.co/iqoTIv5wJi