As the first charity to establish child bereavement support services in the UK, Winston's Wish continues to lead the way in providing specialist child bereavement support services, including in-depth therapeutic help in individual, group and residential settings.
Winston's Wish was established by Julie Stokes OBE, a clinical psychologist, in 1992 to meet the needs of bereaved children and their families. The idea took root when Julie visited the US and Canada on a Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship. Having been inspired by the services she saw there, Julie returned to the UK to set up Winston’s Wish.
Claire is one parent to be helped: "After losing my husband I found there wasn't much local support available. Having five boys I found it increasingly difficult to find ways to support them as they were all dealing with their grief in different ways and at different stages.
"For a while we muddled through but life was hard, very stressful and at times unbearable. To watch my children full of sadness was heart-breaking! I felt I was failing them. Then I went to the Winston's Wish drop-in in Wigan. I felt instantly welcome and for the first time in a very long time there was a glimmer of hope for my family. I have met some lovely people. While the children are busy with their arts and crafts it's a time for parents, grandparents and others to chat, exchange ideas and thoughts and to be part of a group that understands your situation. It's a safe place to share your worries and concerns and reassuring to know that you’re not on your own."
- The #Hope100Challenge kicks off next week. Check out our 100 ways to do 100 for some inspiration! t.co/NwdczA1iFV
- We've got another great pic from the Ferndown Team from Auto Active Solutions taking part in #WearWDay. Send us y… t.co/MPRskIfLqA
- 1 week to go until #Hope100Challenge commences! Places are limited and start at just £5 - they're going fast. Both… t.co/m7HOw1l8dz
- The teams at Active Auto Solutions have been Wearing W for Winston's Wish. A wig, a witch and a... washing machine?… t.co/Ld1SOQ35wZ
- We're glad to see #ArseneWenger has been making the most of his time since leaving @arsenal! The team at Prestige F… t.co/X8uVFCOKcl