This project provides an opportunity for people who struggle socially and are not accepted by their peers to play football and learn sport skills.
It gives people a chance to get out and about, become physically active, make new friends and learn new sports and life skills, such as teamwork and respect for one another.
It holds league games once a month in Swansea, Newport, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Tydfil. The project also provides weekly football sessions between the matches. Participants can choose to take part in a ten-week B-Tech course in Sports Industries where they learn first aid skills, sports leadership skills, and learn how to run a football club.
The Street Football Wales (SFW) charity works in partnership with Gwalia housing and support agency to provide football opportunities for people who are socially excluded through mental health issues, homelessness or alcohol and drug abuse. Lottery funding has made a huge difference, helping SFW create four football leagues, with nearly 1000 participants taking part in each season, and has also helped the project develop and deliver its training and education programme.
Nearly two thirds of 560 participants in the charity’s East, West & North leagues last year completed a survey showing the positive impact that the project had had on their lives. 87 per cent said their mental and physical health had improved, and 63 per cent said their drug and alcohol use had reduced, while 91% said their confidence and self esteem had improved.
- One of our Welsh Warriors Zoe Parfitt being tested at the Sport Science Unit in Swansea University today, investiga… t.co/m9Qh666hQG
- The @BigIssueCymru share the big news on The @homelesswrldcup coming to Cardiff t.co/AEzolxcASK Get behind… t.co/XzRAuU1LRq
- Thank you to the many partners who collaborated with @michaelsheen to make #Cardiff2019 a reality! Official photos… t.co/xQhjTm5XnI
- Your Wales @homelesswrldcup teams had an amazing night at the principality stadium - on pitch for the news that the… t.co/IbaXRWRiPR
- Go Wales !!! I’m confident we will put in a fantastic tournament to welcome the world @cardiffcouncil… t.co/IvKatb44tR