It can often be difficult for the LGBT community to get involved in sport. A 2016 study by the National LGB&T Partnership found that 55% of males in the LGBT community were not active enough to maintain good health, in comparison to 33% of males in the general population.
One group tackling this is the Manchester Village Spartans. Formed in 1998, the Spartans is an inclusive rugby union club, providing a welcoming environment for those in the LGBT community to participate in sport.
Ali Cooper, 22, was new to the city when he discovered the Spartans at a Manchester Pride stall.
"I didn't know anyone in the city, but the Spartans has introduced me to a whole network of people," he says. "I'm fitter and happier since I started playing with the team. Rugby is a great sport, and there is a place for anyone. You don't have to be a certain body type or skill level to get involved. All you need is the determination to try something new."
Teammate Ross Whitenstall, 24, agrees: "Joining the Spartans had such a positive effect on my life. Most of all, I did not realise how much I would enjoy playing a team sport and making new friendships as a result. Since joining, I have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and mood as a result. I feel a lot better playing regular sport in my spare time. My job is quite solitary in nature so it is a nice break coming to the Spartans in the week."
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- On what would have been his 58th birthday, we celebrate the life and legacy of #JustinFashanu, football's first ope… t.co/meUzZtNvTs
- Just getting ready to wear the special @altrinchamfc #Rainbow 🌈 kit for this afternoons momentous @FvHtweets match… t.co/imRA8d3inb
- @The_Pink_Picnic @SEVENBRO7HERS We’ve got these for @typhoonsrufc and @MVSRUFC to celebrate the Thphoons 1st Birthd… t.co/oyebUBIgAU
- LGBT+ ? Interested in promoting awareness about good mental health? Keen to learn radio skills, meet new people and… t.co/NTVACFb4fx
- **RUGBY PRACTICE IS CANCELLED TONIGHT** due to the snow and possible transportation disruption. #rugbypractice… t.co/WLziblPPkN