It can often be difficult for the LGBT community to get involved in sport. A 2016 study by the National LGB&T Partnership found that 55% of males in the LGBT community were not active enough to maintain good health, in comparison to 33% of males in the general population.
One group tackling this is the Manchester Village Spartans. Formed in 1998, the Spartans is an inclusive rugby union club, providing a welcoming environment for those in the LGBT community to participate in sport.
Ali Cooper, 22, was new to the city when he discovered the Spartans at a Manchester Pride stall.
"I didn't know anyone in the city, but the Spartans has introduced me to a whole network of people," he says. "I'm fitter and happier since I started playing with the team. Rugby is a great sport, and there is a place for anyone. You don't have to be a certain body type or skill level to get involved. All you need is the determination to try something new."
Teammate Ross Whitenstall, 24, agrees: "Joining the Spartans had such a positive effect on my life. Most of all, I did not realise how much I would enjoy playing a team sport and making new friendships as a result. Since joining, I have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and mood as a result. I feel a lot better playing regular sport in my spare time. My job is quite solitary in nature so it is a nice break coming to the Spartans in the week."
Are you associated with this project and wish to give us more info? Please get in touch
- Thanks for the message @TritonsRUFC (Who are also mentioned in this article about our RFU accreditation). It's all… t.co/H4Ei949ycP
- @TritonsRUFC Thanks, @TritonsRUFC xx See you all again soon
- We love being quoted in Italian! Il Principe Harry incontra squadra di rugby gay t.co/33D2ijwcG9 #gayit via @gayit
- Volunteers required for the @BinghamCup2018 in Amsterdam this June. Join in for a once in a lifetime experience. Va… t.co/aKvRPMx2o7
- In case you missed it; delivering the match ball at the @SaleSharksRugby game with @Saracens ; great to see Sharky… t.co/zGWhsXE1gb