Celebrating the Cornish Mining Landscape's World Heritage status, the colossal Man Engine is the largest mechanical puppet ever to be built in Britain.
When he 'transforms' he stands at 11.2m tall (two-and-a-half double-decker buses!)
However The Man Engine will only 'transform' if enough people sing! All along the route last summer organisers worked with community choirs and invited spectators to sing and chant in the Cornish Language to help crank the Man Engine into life.
One hundred and fifty thousand people turned out to do just that at celebratory events all along his pilgrimage.
National Lottery funding helped the project design and construct the mechanical wonder and to run an educational programme
Working with Camborne School of Mines and Geevor Tin Mine, the project delivered Mining Heritage workshops at 30 schools across Cornwall. 1,500 school children dug deep into their mining heritage - including building working water pumps, exploring the stories of diverse Cornish Mining characters and going underground and blowing things up!
The initial economic impact of the tour was estimated at £2.9 million and the media reach was 112 million people across 104 countries!
The Man Engine unearthed a deep-rooted vein of pride and resilience running through Cornwall. He gave the Cornish people permission to tell their own story, to celebrate who they were, who they are, and who they want to be.
Next year the story will continue, when the Man Engine will say goodbye to Cornwall to tour South Wales and the North of England.
- Bringing a crazy idea - the UK's largest mechanical puppet - to life. Bucket loads of #MondayMotivation from Will C… t.co/83d5wmZWBy
- @TheManEngine says thank you for all the help and support on the tour. We want to say thank you and well done to th… t.co/3d9gnR5k1S
- Phew. All done for now. #LittleLieDownInADarkenedRoom... see y'all drekly xxx t.co/a0CYjyfxW6
- 180 years ago today, 26 children aged just 7 to 17 were killed by an inrush of water at Huskar Pit. Please see… t.co/ZzRhsMdBCN
- Two more Man Engine shots from the weekend. We miss you Man Engine! #themanengine #Willington @NHeartlands… t.co/yzZq7aSdVy