A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- @msonenote Ah, okay - is there a backup system beyond what’s saved in OneDrive? If the service was down, faulty, or… t.co/ALJAYaAhAz
- Wow. I missed that in the bunf - as if we needed ANOTHER reason for @mycelia4music Creative Passports 🙈
- @krishalpin @guysigsworth that’s what it says on the blurb about the album. BRING on Creative Passports!!
- @krishalpin @guysigsworth where do people find their info?? Frou Frou have been touring since 2017!! Really??
- @imogenheap @guysigsworth HAHA! You can fix this crazy mess once and for all! Proof if proof were needed eh? Creative Passports FOR THE WIN.