A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- 3 years of Blue Steel. Love you guys ❤️❤️ #twins #twinparents #bluesteel t.co/6BneMVcrzn
- Wowzers. Where does the time go? 3 today! Happy Birthday Twinnies. You’re the best! #twins #twinparents t.co/rGuwv0V2UJ
- I can’t breathe t.co/3EmkohGbEh
- actually theft is when there is an actual transfer of property actually so if i copy any physical media and distri… t.co/nXQBSBU8yw
- @krishalpin Traductio is used when the word is repeated but the meaning of word one is different from word two. Eg.… t.co/p4Nplh3JmE