A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- LATEST: Video Diary begins the scenes thingie. Unexpected obstacle to recording that has nothing to do with access… t.co/TkiMM0BZK0
- media focus today is all what he said about May and Brexit but for me the most shocking comments were attacks from… t.co/oOR4ZFU6Sd
- Today is as good a day as any to remind my American friends that, where I come from, Trump is slang for fart. Unwel… t.co/UTedzAoUtn
- “It’s” a grumpy overweight man from Birmingham who listens to Heavy Metal and mucks about making music instead of g… t.co/fi4RywEjWz
- Never mind the football. England won this week. Well done everyone. 👏 t.co/7pa8wl4LEI