A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- I’m sort of in shock at how much I missed something that has been staring me in the face for years. I was never tha… t.co/04eiOzdL1D
- Vote Leave lied. Vote Leave broke the law. Vote Leave used digital tool now considered so perilous to democracy i… t.co/7NbVET6fAj
- @Jessietait That’s fucking gross af gross
- This Lorraine Kelly thing makes no sense via the clickbait articles... does anyone know the technicality as to why… t.co/RI4qQi1gA5
- @Charlie_Lou88 @MikScarlet @samrenke Yeesh. This thread is my life. My body is so f’cked now. Aging + CP + being br… t.co/eI3GP2OzVc