Research shows there is a significant gap between disabled and non-disabled sporting participation because of numerous barriers such as accessibility, how disabled people see themselves and the attitudes of other people.
InstructAbility participants complete a YMCAfit training course to qualify as gym instructors with a disability specialism. They then undertake a 12 week work placement. Afterwards they are encouraged to progress into paid work, with many developing into group exercise instructors, personal trainers, rehabilitation specialists and setting up their own businesses.
More than 300 people have qualified as fitness professionals and volunteered in leisure facilities, thanks to National Lottery funding. These trainers have delivered 70,000 fitness sessions with disabled clients and helped to raise awareness of disability among staff and other customers. Half the participants have moved into paid employment.
Gary Puddifoot, 32, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) ten years ago. With help from InstructAbility, Gary got a job at a leisure centre in Stratford.
Gary says: "At first, I thought people wouldn't listen to me because of my impairment but through the training and the support I received, my confidence as an instructor grew. I found I could relate to people better because I understood the challenges that they were facing.
"I absolutely love my job. I have a particular desire to get those with impairments or health conditions involved with fitness, and my story goes to prove that a condition does not dictate what you can and can't do in life."
- “Children’s health is key to their happiness & well-being, & healthy children are more likely to grow into the heal… t.co/URLKrELO5f
- Great blog post from one of our #Grads. #CerebralPalsyAwarenessMonth t.co/jOQQUZJldp
- @mark___bullock @bowlsparc @Eng_Dis_Sport @wheelpower All the snow is disappearing here in #Stanmore & #Watford so… t.co/fhF3NsvIs6
- Stranded? Can't get to the gym this weekend? What are you planning instead? Tweet to let us know... Happy Snow We… t.co/am25A4T4wM
- @InstructAbility's Hilary Farmiloe will be speaking at @QuestInLeisure conference tomorrow at 3.15pm… t.co/YpFZ1ASMHH