"The In Harmony programme continues to be an essential ingredient in ensuring the future success of our pupils. It continues to define our identity and ethos, and enriches the social, moral, spiritual and cultural aspects of our curriculum in a way that no other project can match. Long may it continue to change lives for the better."
Andy Gamble, Executive Headteacher, Windmill and Low Road Primary Schools.
In Harmony Opera North ensures over 1,000 children from all backgrounds in South Leeds benefit from the transferable skills that regular structured music making brings: communication and listening skills, confidence, team work and perseverance.
Delivered by one of Europe's leading arts organisations, Opera North, the programme was initially established in one primary school in South Leeds in January 2013. It has since been extended to three primary schools where pupils take part in up to three sessions of music-making activities during school hours each week. Every child sings in a choir and, from the age of seven, every child has their own instrument (violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute, clarinet, trumpet or trombone) and takes part in small group instrumental lessons and orchestra sessions.
The whole school takes part in workshops and performances throughout the year, including concerts with the Orchestra and Chorus of Opera North in venues such as Leeds Town Hall, Sage Gateshead and Ripon Cathedral. In summer 2017, five pupils from Low Road Primary School performed as part of the children’s chorus in Opera North’s acclaimed production of 'Turandot’'.
For more information about In Harmony Opera North visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- 🌙 Delighted to share our new imagery for the Winter season — photography by @guyfarrow. Here's #ONMagicFlute (now… t.co/a81jSIbW5D
- "Learning music helps develop so many important skills: counting, listening, spatial awareness, concentration, team… t.co/WP0FwhC3rj
- Everyone in the room together — 100 male voices (and a couple of females!) Toi Toi Toi to all involved in… t.co/8PKrY3QU3i
- "I love the effect music has on all of us. It makes us laugh, dance, cry, hope – and best of all it can bring us to… t.co/N6tvMoYvDX
- This winter, @Opera_North will bring one of the most touching moments in history to life with the UK premiere of Si… t.co/DkJUCIsxya