Starting in 2001, The Great Fen is a 50 year project to create a huge wetland area between Peterborough and Huntingdon that would host a thriving ecosystem of plants and animals.
Through the biggest National Lottery grant ever provided to an environmental project, the Great Fen were able to purchase the Holmewood Estate - a 3,255 acre space and a key part of the restoration plan which would allow the Great Fen build new habitats including grasslands, reedbeds, hay meadows and open water. These habitats not only provide suitable and sustainable grounds for wildlife but also provide for wide ranging community, education and conservational work.
The Great Fen don't just aim to attract new wildlife; the project is also providing a human boost too. Through the generation of new crops and land, local farmers are developing rare breeds of cattle such as British White and Belted Galloway whilst plans for a visitors' centre, tourism and local enterprises will help develop the local economy and employment.
- Are you a lottery player? Take your ticket or scratchcard to our Visitor Centre today or tomorrow for a free gift t… t.co/Qf4nCnalEx
- Now the days are colder, don't forget to feed your garden birds. If you buy your bird food from @Vinehousefarm up… t.co/hwnPA2F6AY
- Interested in Wildlife? Why not try out your closest Wildlife Watch group? t.co/udkc7az4IR t.co/Mnd1BncAn3
- It's nearly Christmas! If you are looking for something fun to do why not have a go at our bird friendly wreath!… t.co/D996VVKgRI
- It's very chilly outside, but the perfect time to go wildlife spotting, have you checked the leftover snow for sign… t.co/LsgJqPoQtx