UK Sport is responsible for co-ordinating the bidding and staging of major international sporting events across the UK. UK Sport works in partnership with sporting and regional partners to ensure that important international events are staged in the UK, to a world leading standard.
Between 2007 and 2012, UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme distributed around £3.5 million of National Lottery funding each year to support the bidding and staging of major international sporting events on home soil in preparation for London 2012. The programme supported 118 events in 35 different towns and cities across the UK between 2007 – 2012 attracting around 30,000 athletes and over 27,000 opportunities for officials and volunteers to develop key skills ahead of London 2012.
The success of this programme has led to the development of an ambitious event hosting strategy for the post London 2012 period, which will see National Lottery investment increase to £5 million per year.
Find out more about the 2007 – 2012 UK Sports Major Events Strategy - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/2007-2012-Events/
- And top three finishes from Ali Smith, @HCDream2012, @BTuckerT37 and Lynsey Sharp 🇬🇧⬇️ #MullerAnniversaryGames… t.co/vvakOqafh0
- WORLD RECORDS from @AdeneganK and @SophieHahnT38 👏👏👏👏 t.co/j0AJAARLhz
- WHAT A DAY at the #MullerAnniversaryGames 🔥🔥🔥 There were two storming wins from our 4x100 relay teams ⬇️… t.co/EDaOcmIR2T
- We may be getting towards the end of the #MullerAnniversaryGames but you've still got lots to look forward to. Just… t.co/180dNDtZE5
- A superb #DiamondLeague long jump 1-2 for @SharaProctor and @loralski 🔥🔥🔥 #MullerAnniversaryGames #FeelPartOfIt t.co/sxYGr7cf8N