The centre is made up of 35 acres of landscaped garden, including giant glass domes - which the project futuristically named "biomes" - housing flora and fauna from all over the world. The project was the brainchild of Tim Smit who wanted to create a botanical gardens which would make plant life and ecological issues accessible to large numbers of people. Located in Cornwall, the project also helped to regenerate one of the UK's most deprived rural areas.
Eden Project is now one of Britain's most popular paid visitor attraction and many visitors say it is a factor in choosing their holiday destination. Daily attendance figures vary from 500 to a record 14,000.
The project uses performers, storytellers and guest speakers to tell the stories of ninety different plants all over the site. On average 250 school children a day visit the project, going on the education programme: a structured day, accompanied by an education pack, which teaches some botanical and environmental basics.
In its busiest season the project employs up to 600 local people, 380 of which are full time and permanent. The project's own research estimates that it has had an economic impact on Cornwall to the value of £105m.
For more information visit www.edenproject.com
The Eden Project was funded by The Millennium Commission.
Are you associated with this project and wish to give us more info? Please get in touch
Vote for this project for an award
- Rocky road crepes anyone? Treat yourself at our Festival of Light and Sound, available from our Ice Cafe. See the f… t.co/NJTXvVtUrt
- It's #LocalCharitiesDay, highlighting the superb work of Local Charities across the UK. RT and show your support now t.co/SCYW0dUiPs
- Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants on Earth. Huge stems tower above you in our Rainforest Biome. t.co/NhwWjutzB5
- WIN a two-night getaway at the stylish @stmoritzhotel for a family of four! t.co/LCGV2mqjcG t.co/hMRi8Ldqw5
- Tickets for @MassiveAttackUK plus @Youngfathers at Eden on 15 and 16 June 2018 are now on sale! Online sales only v… t.co/HlfPqWd9GY