Supported by the National Lottery through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Culture Night is a major celebration that takes place across Belfast every September. Run by the Cathedral Quarter Trust, which supports cultural life within the historic area of the city, the occasion brings together 350 free events across 150 locations from afternoon to late into the evening. More than 100,000 visitors from across Northern Ireland and beyond attended last year, up from 15,000 in 2009, the first year of operation.
In 2017, visitors enjoyed an expanded programme under the motto ‘We Can Be More,’ reflected through the use of new venues and spaces. The theme was also a comment on how Culture Night and the city have grown over the years.
The programme ranged from an opening gala concert by the Ulster Orchestra at Belfast Waterfront to wrestling bouts in St Anne’s Square, to drag queen story time at Belfast’s Central Library. Starting at noon on September 22, the celebration took over new venues from City Hall, where activities included yoga and yarn bombing, to Belfast Harbour, the setting for a ‘mini festival of fools’ and a Thunder Action sports bike show.
This year it will return on Friday September 21, with organisers predicting up to 120,000 visitors at a huge 10th anniversary celebration.
For more information about Culture Night Belfast visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- This Saturday, @brianguitar Northern Ireland's leading guitar teacher will be hosting a FREE taster session for beg… t.co/gLnU9sVCaF
- Fancy a go at some drawing? This Sunday (13th January) take part in an introduction to portraiture workshop by… t.co/PguhM5O86w
- Calling all busy entrepreneurs! Take abit of time out of your busy schedule to be inspired to get healthy in all as… t.co/Fl7Yrp10zG
- This January, come and hear stories from some of Northern Ireland's top storytellers. Saturdays in @LearningSPACE… t.co/xTo6QG7Oeq
- @DestinationCQ Proud to be helping this come together.... What a lineup of local makers. Some great last min purcha… t.co/MbE8tiYDd2