Creating Connections has directly equipped over 200 single parents with the skills and support networks to prevent mental ill-heath in Cardiff and Newport, South Wales, and over 1,500 people have been helped more widely via peer support and project literature.
Through self-management workshops, the project helps single parents develop skills and networks, so 'a problem shared is a problem halved,' helping them meet the challenges of single parenthood, maintain good mental health, and build towards a positive future.
Small supportive groups of single parents no longer have to manage alone. They share their experiences with the support of trainers who have also been single parents and know the issues first-hand. They acknowledge their challenges, and support them to build solutions together.
National Lottery funding enabled Gingerbread and the Mental Health Foundation to work together to develop Creating Connections.
Debbie says Creating Connections saved her. When she was a single parent to her two year old son she was keen to embark on her first nursing role. Unfortunately, she was then diagnosed with breast cancer. During her treatment she joined a Creating Connections course in Cardiff. Debbie says: "I did the course at a crucial part of my life and I have said many times that it actually saved me. I know that sounds dramatic but I was at the point in my life where I needed some support and guidance, and I am so glad that that is what I got from the course."
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Four in ten Scots have felt 'powerless', 'worried' and 'angry' due to Brexit. Two in ten report anxiety and 'high l… t.co/0vDmCHBXOu
- Political change can affect us in different ways and, for many of us, transition of political powers and uncertaint… t.co/HGCJ83lhE1
- News about #Brexit appears to have left millions of people at times feeling powerless, angry or worried. Read our t… t.co/V1ZOPgGT7O
- Around 1 in 4 UK adults said #Brexit had not caused them to feel any particular emotions in the last 12 months: t.co/5xOZJIlkUj
- Over 1 in 10 people reported that #Brexit had caused them problems with sleeping in the last year and almost two in… t.co/nWCi7DMta7