Creating Connections has directly equipped over 200 single parents with the skills and support networks to prevent mental ill-heath in Cardiff and Newport, South Wales, and over 1,500 people have been helped more widely via peer support and project literature.
Through self-management workshops, the project helps single parents develop skills and networks, so 'a problem shared is a problem halved,' helping them meet the challenges of single parenthood, maintain good mental health, and build towards a positive future.
Small supportive groups of single parents no longer have to manage alone. They share their experiences with the support of trainers who have also been single parents and know the issues first-hand. They acknowledge their challenges, and support them to build solutions together.
National Lottery funding enabled Gingerbread and the Mental Health Foundation to work together to develop Creating Connections.
Debbie says Creating Connections saved her. When she was a single parent to her two year old son she was keen to embark on her first nursing role. Unfortunately, she was then diagnosed with breast cancer. During her treatment she joined a Creating Connections course in Cardiff. Debbie says: "I did the course at a crucial part of my life and I have said many times that it actually saved me. I know that sounds dramatic but I was at the point in my life where I needed some support and guidance, and I am so glad that that is what I got from the course."
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- #MondayMotivation Start planning your Curry & Chaat! The aim of is simple, get together with friends, enjoy a great… t.co/vFdNt50spj
- Do you want to see mental health count in schools? We want to see it at the heart of every child's education. Sign… t.co/CAr1dbVYxJ
- #SundayThoughts Some of us may struggle with our sleep, and this may then impact our mental health. To help, we ha… t.co/rtboU7MmCB
- More and more schoolchildren are struggling to cope with their mental health. We are launching our new… t.co/oZjKmwiUDg
- New podcast! We spoke to @bloggingnoggin about life on a psychiatric ward, recovery and creativity. We also discu… t.co/iSQLmEKs4z