Founded by its current director, Jane Ward, hundreds of young people have passed through Central Youth Theatre (CYT), many of whom have gone on to study drama and are now working professionally in theatre, film and television.
The inclusive organisation provides opportunities for young people aged 8-25 to learn a broad range of skills associated with the dramatic arts, as well as develop team work and confidence in a fun, supportive environment. CYT's work is diverse and the group is unique in the UK for the amount of international work they undertake.
National Lottery funding has helped the youth theatre to stage a number of important projects. Funding has covered apprenticeships, short films and local heritage projects and provided members with invaluable experience.
Thanks to Lottery funding, CYT was the only youth theatre in the UK to stage a huge Cultural Olympiad International Theatre Festival to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Everybody Dance Now was a celebration of the history of social dance. The project brought together the diverse communities of Wolverhampton, both in terms of age and background and climaxed in a large scale international Youth Theatre Festival hosted in the city.
Older members of the group take an active role in running the youth theatre, and many have been supported after leaving the group as they pursue careers in the creative industries.
- My week on Twitter 🎉: 6 Mentions, 15.8K Mention Reach, 6 Likes, 3 Retweets, 681 Retweet Reach. See yours with… t.co/wNFLIpyxeN
- #LocalCharitiesDay wouldn't be anywhere near the person I am or achievements I've had without @CYT_Wolves t.co/VeO8ikE7e0
- Another huge year for @CYT_Wolves- t.co/FVpebst7fC Thanks @joshwiddicombe @RomeshRanga @timkeyperson… t.co/c983PyL7e1
- A huge thank you to everyone who has supported us this year to deliver an exciting programme of work for young peop… t.co/CQW0x132kj
- Lovely vid of @CYT_Wolves 2017 highlights, including projects working alongside @HeadStartFM. t.co/BQ96Q33Ucw