Founded by its current director, Jane Ward, hundreds of young people have passed through Central Youth Theatre (CYT), many of whom have gone on to study drama and are now working professionally in theatre, film and television.
The inclusive organisation provides opportunities for young people aged 8-25 to learn a broad range of skills associated with the dramatic arts, as well as develop team work and confidence in a fun, supportive environment. CYT's work is diverse and the group is unique in the UK for the amount of international work they undertake.
National Lottery funding has helped the youth theatre to stage a number of important projects. Funding has covered apprenticeships, short films and local heritage projects and provided members with invaluable experience.
Thanks to Lottery funding, CYT was the only youth theatre in the UK to stage a huge Cultural Olympiad International Theatre Festival to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Everybody Dance Now was a celebration of the history of social dance. The project brought together the diverse communities of Wolverhampton, both in terms of age and background and climaxed in a large scale international Youth Theatre Festival hosted in the city.
Older members of the group take an active role in running the youth theatre, and many have been supported after leaving the group as they pursue careers in the creative industries.
- On Monday the 29th Of October your child can create & star in their very own scary story 🧛♂️🎃👻 with Spooktacular S… t.co/dSTh6dGjWn
- TRICK OR TREAT? 🧛♂️🎃👻 Any half-term activity booking also entitles you to 20% OFF tickets for our Children's D… t.co/d8eOhKcchE
- @CYT_Wolves thanks for an amazing awards night. You should be so proud of all the joy you bring to so many (Zara in… t.co/YLI6Ct1l7p
- Absolutely wonderful evening at @CYT_Wolves #cyt35 awards. Congratulations to the winners & nominees inc worthy win… t.co/z75xtotwtJ
- @CYT_Wolves very proud parent !!!!!my son has just come home from the presentation evening with an award for the mo… t.co/0kpK1tXnva