Brain tumours kill more children and young people than any other cancer. It takes longer for them to be diagnosed in the UK than in many other European countries.
Prior to the launch of HeadSmart most people were not aware of the symptoms of a brain tumour and, as a result, 55% of children were only being diagnosed with the tumour after a medical emergency.
The HeadSmart campaign, run by The Brain Tumour Charity, has reached more than 14 million people. Its dedicated website is a vital source of information for parents and health professionals seeking advice, having had over 100,000 views.
The campaign uses social media to raise awareness of the symptoms and engage with parents. It has over 33,000 Facebook ‘likes’ and 2,000 Twitter followers. Its free symptoms card app has been downloaded 2,500 times. 20% of parents with children under 18 are now aware of HeadSmart.
As a result, average diagnosis time has already been reduced from 14.4 weeks to 6.9 weeks.
Over £100,000 of National Lottery funding enabled the essential research that underpins this life-saving campaign. Earlier diagnosis can greatly improve the outcome for a young patient, giving them a much better chance of survival and a far reduced risk of long-term disabilities. That’s why this project has been so important. Its impact has been huge, resulting in greater awareness, significantly reducing diagnosis times and saving lives.
- .@gabbydawnallen bravely shares the story of losing her dad, Mike, to a brain tumour. #Thankyou Gabby and thank you… t.co/jcgmstiQCm
- One of @BrainTumourOrg's corporate partners @VoIPUnlimited is supporting #BrainTumourAwarenessMonth by helping to r… t.co/hf9YhLrXGC
- #BTAM #thingsucando Display @HeadSmartUK #braintumour symptoms at school reception @WeSchoolNurses & ask Head 2 inv… t.co/ElqVub383s
- Luke's story shows us how important raising awareness of the signs and symptoms of brain tumour in children and tee… t.co/khlb9SL7Lj
- Find out more about Brain Tumour Awareness Month from an information stall in our Hope Building, all week. #BTAM18 t.co/y5o2S2gyEr