UK Sport is responsible for co-ordinating the bidding and staging of major international sporting events across the UK. UK Sport works in partnership with sporting and regional partners to ensure that important international events are staged in the UK, to a world leading standard.
Between 2007 and 2012, UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme distributed around £3.5 million of National Lottery funding each year to support the bidding and staging of major international sporting events on home soil in preparation for London 2012. The programme supported 118 events in 35 different towns and cities across the UK between 2007 – 2012 attracting around 30,000 athletes and over 27,000 opportunities for officials and volunteers to develop key skills ahead of London 2012.
The success of this programme has led to the development of an ambitious event hosting strategy for the post London 2012 period, which will see National Lottery investment increase to £5 million per year.
Find out more about the 2007 – 2012 UK Sports Major Events Strategy - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/2007-2012-Events/
- We're still in awe at some of the racing we witnessed this weekend! 🙌🚴♀️ We were glad to have each and every one… t.co/HqUtJtg7Uw
- YES YES YES — I did it... I ended the year off with a GOLD.. 🥇 GRAND SLAM CHAMPION..!! . . #taekwondo #wuxi… t.co/IYGye2xpeb
- 🇬🇧 | 2018. A truly historic year for winter Paralympic sport in this country. Grab a cuppa and relive our record br… t.co/pRo42YXNR2
- Wales' Lauren Williams has won gold at the World Taekwondo Grand Slam finals in China She plans to use the £54,000… t.co/SwBqiE2MwV
- After #SPOTY IMPORTANT reminder if you ❤️ sport & want to support our grassroots,elite, local community & heritage… t.co/KcC17KDQaT