UK Sport is responsible for co-ordinating the bidding and staging of major international sporting events across the UK. UK Sport works in partnership with sporting and regional partners to ensure that important international events are staged in the UK, to a world leading standard.
Between 2007 and 2012, UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme distributed around £3.5 million of National Lottery funding each year to support the bidding and staging of major international sporting events on home soil in preparation for London 2012. The programme supported 118 events in 35 different towns and cities across the UK between 2007 – 2012 attracting around 30,000 athletes and over 27,000 opportunities for officials and volunteers to develop key skills ahead of London 2012.
The success of this programme has led to the development of an ambitious event hosting strategy for the post London 2012 period, which will see National Lottery investment increase to £5 million per year.
Find out more about the 2007 – 2012 UK Sports Major Events Strategy - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/2007-2012-Events/
- 🥊| How did #NationalLottery funding help the home nation boxers have such a successful #GC2018 Commonwealth Games?… t.co/hvMLv2RbSE
- 🥇 | #DiscoverYourGold At the #GC2018 Commonwealth Games, there were nearly 3⃣0⃣0⃣ disabled athletes, 7⃣3⃣% more th… t.co/Hu7yaAai98
- 🥇 | There's still time to #DiscoverYourGold Sign up now for your chance to become a future champion 💯… t.co/MJLwUDwQJG
- 📄 | “The performances from the home nations are a real testament to the impact of #NationalLottery funding at UK an… t.co/TNIdOQfpLP
- ⁉️ Did you know, at the #GC2018 Commonwealth Games.... ➡️ 58% of the medals won by home nation athletes in Olympic… t.co/bxbFGGrmwn